I’ve got a meeting first thing every single day this week (lucky me) so yesterday was wracking my brains for a quick breakfast I could pack in my bag and eat on the go, rather than at my desk. I really enjoyed a spinach and egg pea protein omelette thing I made last week (see my breakfast-ideas-post) so I wondered if I added almond flour this could be made into a loaf of bread which I could slice off each day and top with a mashed avocado. Well, here is the result!
Not bad for a first attempt! I think this recipe certainly could be improved – the taste was awesome, but the texture needs a little more work. Perhaps there were too many eggs, or maybe I could have whisked the eggs with an electric whisk so it was a bit lighter? Anyway, the spirit of this blog is that it follows my culinary adventures – so here is the recipe preserved for posterity!
Ingredients (makes about 10-12 slices)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1/2 cup of ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup of Pulsin Pea Protein
- 1/4 cup of lemon infused olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tsps of Gluten free baking powder
- black pepper and tsp dried parsley to season
- hemp seeds
- Whisk the eggs by hand and combine with the ground almonds and flaxseed and baking powder.
- Add the pea protein, water and olive oil and stir well.
- Shred the spinach and lightly wilt (I did it quickly in the microwave, don’t let it get soggy)
- Stir the spinach into the batter along with seasoning of choice. I used black pepper and dried parsley.
- Pour into greased loaf tin (I use an olive oil spray in a silicone tray). Sprinkle with hemp seeds.
- Bake in a pre-heated over for 1 hour at 180 degrees C.
- Cool, then pop out of tin, (the loaf should sound hollow if you tap the bottom) slice and serve!.