I found my way to this recipe rather randomly. Last week I found some hemp flour in a health food shop, and after a failed attempt at a spinach pancake I’ve since spent quite some time ‘googling’ for an actual recipe (rather than trying to make one up from my brain). I still haven’t found a good one so any suggestions very welcome please! Most suggestions are to mix it with whole-wheat or grain flours as hemp flour doesn’t have any rising properties – but am hardly going to do that am I? Anyway, whilst searching I came across a recipe for avocado bread. At first I thought this was a bit weird but then when you think about avocodo havig a similar texture to banana – and there are lots of banana bread recipes I had every confidence this would work. I made a few revisions here and there to the original, varied the quantities to make a larger load, and added ground flaxseed (quelle surprise), sun-dried tomatoes and dried parsley, and hemp seeds on top. I didn’t use the spicy chilli that the recipe suggested.
If you can get over the very green colour then go for it! I was a little surprised at how tasty this was, really moist and excellent for breakfast this morning! Will keep for around 3 days in an airtight container or much much longer in the freezer.
Ingredients (makes 10-12 slices)
- 1.5 large ripe avocados (Hass type used here)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup olive oil (I used a lemon infused one)
- 5 Sundried tomatoes finely cut.
- 1.5 tsps gluten free baking powder
- tsp black pepper
- tsp dried parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Blend the avocado till smooth (preferably with a blender/hand-blender rather then a masher, the smoother the avocado the better) .
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs with the flours, and the rest of the ingredients above (bar the hemp seeds).
- Spoon into a well-oiled silicone loaf tray, sprinkle with hemp seeds.
- Bake in the centre of the oven at 180 degrees C for 1 hour .
- Cool on a rack
Serve for breakfast spread with Tahini/nut butter + scrambled egg..