Sometimes I’m left a bit like ‘Old Mother Hubbard’ (i.e. with nothing in my cupboard), so breakfast at the weekend can be a bit or a random throw-together. Today I had a carrot and some eggs in the fridge, and using a bit of the wonderful ground flaxseed to bind it all together I came up with a cross between a pancake and carrot cake (ish). If you wanted to be really extravagant you could add some raw honey or sultanas to the mix to sweeten this up. Personally too much sugar in the morning, isn’t good for me so I didn’t add them (also being mother hubbard I didn’t have any sultanas). Here is the very simple and quick recipe.
Ingredients (makes 3 small pancakes as above, serves 1)
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 medium sized carrot grated
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (or ginger, mixed spice etc.)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Whisk together all ingredients above,
- Heat a frying pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil and heap on 3 dollops of the mixture.
- Flip after a few minutes when the underside is cooked.
- Serve, perhaps with some nut butter drizzled on top. Unfortunately I didn’t have any left in my cupboard 😦 but I’ve been shopping today so that drama has been resolved….