Sugar, Gluten & Dairy free Paleo Cupcakes
It was my friends birthday yesterday, so I made a batch of these as a special treat. I took them along to last night’s party and I’m pretty sure they went down well as they all got eaten – yay! (and not just by me I might add…)
I found a recipe for these here, so the credit for them doesn’t go to me! I didn’t want to do a cream cheese topping (as in the recipe) so I made up some coconut oil chocolate and used this to drizzle over the top, which also worked as a glue for the strawberries. I wonder if the missing sugar, dairy or gluten was noticed by the non-paleo eaters?…
I was really proud of how these turned out – they are so pretty! I think I may have well and truly caught the paleo cake-baking bug!
Ingredients (makes 12)
For the cakes;
- 100g ground almonds
- 25g raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 100g Raw honey
- 50g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 Raw honey, 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (this is a slight variation on my Coconut Oil Chocolate and I used less cacao powder so it would be runnier)
- 6 strawberries, sliced in half
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Sieve and mix together the almonds, cacao and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, olive oil and honey.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Spoon into 12 paper cupcake cakes.
- Bake in the oven for 18 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- When the cakes are fully cooled make the topping by melting the coconut oil, and stirring in the honey and cacao powder.
- Use a teaspoon to spread a little melted chocolate onto each cake, top with half a strawberry (I did a few at a time as the chocolate hardens quickly and it needs to be runny for the strawberry to stick!)
- Drizzle a little more chocolate over the finished cakes.
- Place in the fridge to set.