I wanted to try out a new cake recipe this weekend, and as I couldn’t decide which to do (between apricot and raspberry, coffee and walnut, and lemon and blueberry) I put a poll on my Facebook Page. Thanks to everyone who voted – the result was coffee and walnut (much to my dismay as I really wanted to make the apricot one… Oh well that’s a job for another lazy Sunday!)
I could not find a recipe for a coffee and walnut loaf cake or cupcakes anywhere so these were a bit of an experiment based on the quantities from previous cake recipes as a starting point. I can’t be more pleased with how these have turned out. I did wonder if I’d been to generous with the sweet stuff, but as a result the texture is quite moist. The coconut powder isn’t a necessity in this recipe, I just added it for a bit of different texture as the batter looked too runny before I added it. You could easily sub it for more ground almonds.
Anyway, they all got eaten by my colleagues this morning, so they must have been OK!
Ingredients (makes 12)
For the cupcakes;
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tablespoons Sweet Freedom or Raw Honey
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 25g chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
For the frosting;
- 3 tablespoons of arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon of Sweet Freedom
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon of strong coffee
- chopped walnuts to decorate
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Sift the ground almonds, coconut powder and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil, and whisk this together with the eggs, sweet freedom. Lastly add in the coffee.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon, and lastly stir in the chopped walnuts.
- Spoon into 12 paper baking cases, and bake in the oven for 18 mins.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Once fully cooled make the frosting.
- Melt the coconut oil and stir in the sweet freedom and the coffee.
- 1 spoon at a time add the arrowroot and continue to stir until a thick paste is formed.
- Spread over the cupcakes, and place a walnut piece on top.
- Place cakes in the fridge to set until ready to eat!