I’ve been at the mini quiches again…. (previous recipe included these Chicken & Asparagus one’s). I’ve seen loads of recipes for quiches in magazines recently and many of them include cream with the egg mixture. I thought I’d have a go at tweaking my basic quiche recipe by adding some coconut milk blended with nuts for a creamy consistency and here are the results. I haven’t been in my own kitchen this week so used muffin cases to house the quiches – they would have been far better in a silicone case so my best bit of advice would be to use them instead – they’ll pop out far easier.
Now… Time for the Feta cheese debate. Any strict Paleo eaters out there will know that Feta isn’t part of the Paleo diet – if that’s you then leave it out these will still work. If like me, you fancy indulging in a bit of good quality Feta cheese every now and again then go for it and include it. Sheep or Goat’s Cheese is usually generally not as highly processed as other ‘Cow’ cheeses so in my mind it deserves an occasional place on my ‘quest for un-processed living’ ingredients list.
I took these to a picnic yesterday, and served them with a home-made coleslaw, chicken baked in a mustardy-sundried tomato paste + rosemary from the garden and a spinach & watercress salad – yum. I had the leftovers for breakfast with half a mashed avocado, a few cherry toms and a dripping of sunflower seed butter. Total Yum.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- handful of halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of pine nuts
- 100mls of Kara Coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh oregano leaves (or basil but I didn’t have any)
- 75g Feta Cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Halve the tomatoes and finely dice the pepper, roast in the oven in a drizzle of olive oil for 20 minutes
- In a blender combine the pine nuts, minced garlic, olive oil, coconut milk, oregano till smooth (this is the cream I was trying to create)
- Add in the 4 eggs, some black pepper and blend a little further.
- Remove the pepper and toms from the oven.
- Spoon a little of the egg mixture in to the bottom of greased silicone cupcake trays.
- Add in a few bits of roast pepper and tomato to eat one.
- Top with the rest of the egg mixture.
- Add a few small cubes of feta cheese to each one.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool and pack in a picnic box to eat!