A Moist, Gluten-Free & Paleo Bread Recipe
I have been making this recipe on a regular basis since I first posted it in June 2011, just a month after I started blogging. It’s seen some experimentation in that time. I’ve tried more/less eggs, coconut flour instead of ground almonds, adding herbs and removing/re-introducing the raising agent. The regular recipe I’m happy with is in fact not much different from the original – it just works! Simple is best.
The reason I use ground almonds and ground flax in this recipe instead of conventional flours, is because as well as being naturally gluten free they are ingredients that have not undergone mass processing. Ground almonds and ground flax are simply flours created by grounding whole almonds and flaxseeds (sometimes known as linseed). This means that they are easier for the body to digest and don’t cause bloating like gluten & wheat flours can.
I probably make a batch of this recipe once a month. It yields 4 mini loaves, so I have it around once per week. The loaves can be easily stored in the freezer till I’m ready to whip one out, leave to defrost overnight, and pack up in my gym bag to eat when I get to work for breakfast. It always keeps me full till lunchtime! Those who like to eat a bit more for breakfast can always add an extra bit of smoked salmon or scrambled eggs on top.
Good fats from the avocado, olive oil and seeds. Protein from the eggs and almonds, and finally a little good carbs from the almonds and avocado – all bound up in a little portable loaf.
As a bit of fun my friend and fellow blogger Adura filmed a tutorial on how to make this dish… Enjoy!
Full instructions & quantities for recipe below…
Ingredients (makes 4 mini loaves – 1 per serving)
- 1.5 large ripe avocados (Hass type used here)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup or 75mls olive oil
- 1 cup or 100g ground almonds
- 1/2 cup or 75g ground flaxseed
- Black pepper and Himalayan salt
- Mixed seeds to top (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame etc)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C (fan oven).
- Put the Avocado, eggs and olive oil in a blender and blend until completely smooth (preferably with a blender/hand-blender).
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients, then pour in the avocado mix. Combine till smooth.
- Use a tsp of olive oil across the 4 mini loaf trays to grease. Then spoon in the mixture, and finally sprinkle with the seeds.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.
This is the last post from me for a bit as I’m off on a cooking holiday in Devon this weekend. Full report on my return!