A Fiery Food Fiesta
It is cold and snowy in London today and I don’t have a fire. I shall have to make one in my tummy instead..
I’ve just returned from a couple of days away for my day job and due to various not-in-my-favour weather systems was much later home today than I’d hoped. Definitely too late to make a slow-cooker stew for this evening’s dinner. This may please those of you who don’t yet (get one please!) have a slow cooker since I’ve become a bit too obsessed with it recently.
Instead I whipped up a tasty warming almost one-pot paleo dinner, ready in just 40 mins from start to finish. I have been rather fancying doing my paleo take on the classic chicken, chorizo & chickpea stew since I found a brand of ‘clean’ Chorizo that I really like last year – Alejandro. In today’s variation I added peppers for some extra depth in flavour and a touch of kale for that all important leafy green veg component to a balanced healthy meal. Spicy enough to warm me up, but not too spicy to make your eyes water.
The 25 minute simmer on the hob will leave you just about enough time to do the washing up and un-pack while the stew is bubbling away (or just faff about on the internet). One pot stews are great for tupperware work lunches or hey presto dinners – my version of a ready meal. I’ll be eating up my leftovers when I’m too busy to cook fresh in the coming weeks.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Olive oil
- 500g chicken thighs, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 100g chorizo, chopped (see my chorizo post for brand info)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper (capiscum), sliced
- 1 x 390g carton organic chopped tomatoes
- 200ml boiling water
- 100g curly Kale, shredded
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful chopped fresh parsley to serve
- Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan, Add the diced chicken thighs and fry, turning frequently, until lightly browned. Set aside.
- At the same time in a small frying pan, heat the chorizo and fry till crispy on both sides (2-3 mins) seat aside.
- If necessary add a little more oil to the large saucepan, add the onion, garlic, carrots, and chilli, paprika and oregano and cook till they begin to soften, stirring frequently. Add the peppers for another few mins.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes to the saucepan, along with 200mls of water. Bring to the boil.
- Now you can add the browned chicken and the crisp chorizo. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally Add the kale, and continue to simmer for a final 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve up in bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
I’m definitely warmed up now!