A Winter Warmer. For April.
April 6th. Not exactly the time to post a Winter warmer, but since it snowed in London this week I think you’ll agree this is fully justified!
I came up with this dish rather randomly. I had some leftover carrot mash, which I planned to warm up and just add a bit of cinnamon to, served alongside some bacon and eggs. In the process I ended up throwing it all together and adding some coconut oil to the mix for some good fats. This a tasty, warming and filling paleo breakfast option – perfect if you used to be a porridge addict (like me!)
We all know that bacon on top of anything makes a dish a winner – and gives this dish a great sweet yet salty taste. The carrots plus the cinnamon are so naturally sweet, you wouldn’t believe that there is no sugar in this dish!
Many thanks to the Groovy Food Company for the organic virgin coconut oil which I had fun experimenting with in this recipe. A tasty subtle coconutty oil, which I know will work equally well in any of my coconut oil based dishes, as a safe cooking oil or as a face moisturiser!
Think this is a bit random? Give it a go and let me know!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 6 carrots / approx 500g
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut oil
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-4 rashers of bacon diced and fried to a crisp
- Steam the carrots till soft, and purée along with the coconut oil and cinnamon in a food processor, blender or with a masher.
- Place the carrots in a saucepan, warm over a medium heat and stir through the egg yolks till all incorporated.
- Transfer to serving bowls, top with the crispy bacon and add extra cinnamon if desired.
- You could make up a batch of the carrot mix, and serve over the space of a few days for a quick breakfast from a bowl that isn’t cereal…