Better on a BBQ…
However since I don’t have a BBQ inside my flat – the grill will have to do.
There isn’t much on the telly box at the moment. I don’t really watch that much TV, but its super annoying when you sit down after a long day at work, and early morning gym session (plus making and clearing up dinner), and there is nothing engaging to watch. Not ever for a mere half a hour chill-out distraction before bed. Anyway the lack of decent telly on a random evening recently, left me surfing through some stored programmes and I came across a cooking show I hadn’t watched yet. The ever seasonal and creative Valentine Warner was showcasing lots of BBQ recipes – and included this gem of an idea for lambs livers cooked on skewers. Not an idea I’d had before now, so thought I’d give it a whirl since I’m constantly searching for the most delicious way to eat ‘nature’s multivitamin’ liver.
I really enjoyed this way of preparing liver in contrast to quick pan frying. The thinly sliced liver (got my butcher to do it for me) got a lovely crisp top, and the spicy herby flavours on the liver and the dressing *almost* took away the livery taste. Plus it is SO much fun to eat food off a skewer right?
Liver is so incredibly cheap as well as being nutritious. You can’t possibly have an excuse to give this a go!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250-300g of thinly sliced lambs liver (approx 5-6 slices)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder ( I used chipotle chilli powder for a smoky taste)
- Himalayan / Celtic Salt
- Olive oil
- Large handful chopped fresh coriander / mint
- 1/4 lime
- Soak 6 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes so they don’t burn when they are grilled
- Pre-heat the grill to medium high.
- Thread each piece of lambs liver through a skewer and place on a lined grill
- Combine the oregano, cumin, chilli and salt. Mix and sprinkle half the mix over the liver skewers. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the liver under the grill pan till the top crisps and the inside is still slightly pink (approx 5 mins depending on heat of grill)
- Turn the liver skewers over and sprinkle over the remaining spice and a drizzle of oil. Place back under the grill for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile mix the chopped coriander a and mint with a little olive oil to form a dressing.
- When the kebabs are done squeeze over the lime juice and spoon over the herby dressing.
Serve with a huge side salad. A nice partner to the liver on the skewers would be onions.