Hello – I’m back from a gorgeous but short trip to Italy to visit my family. In between eating (a lot), cycling (a bit), spending some time in the sun and working out how to stop all my mosquito bites itching (lavender oil works a treat) I popped to the supermarket for a couple of bags of my favourite gluten-free baking flour – chestnut flour. I bought a couple of bags one for me and one for you lot, since I thought it would be rather fun to host a blog giveaway in celebration of the rubbish summer we’re having in London…
Chestnut flour is known as Farine di Castagne to the Italians and I‘ve been a fan of using it in baking ever since I bought my first bag in Italy a couple of years ago. The flour is made from dried milled chestnuts is very starchy, fibrous, naturally sweet and gluten-free – perfect! Since I imported my first bag I’ve worked on a variety of yummy recipes;
- Top left: Traditional Tuscan Castagnaccio (chestnut flour cake)
- Top right: Sweet potato & chestnut flour gnocchi (experiments, recipe not yet finished!)
- Bottom left: Chestnut flour & Apple cake (which I served at my recent pop-up tea)
- Bottom right: Chestnut & Prune Chocolate Brownies
- I also experiemented with it in a mince pie pastry.
Since the flour is naturally sweet, without gluten and doesn’t rise it needs trying and testing. I’m always looking for tried and tested recipes with chestnut flour that not only work but are delicious. Have you seen or tasted any? What would you do with the flour? Enter the giveaway below by letting me know and you might have the chance to try out the recipe yourself Each task counts as a separate entry so make sure you leave separate comments for each one for more chances to win!
- Leave a comment below telling me what you’d cook with the chestnut flour including a link to an on-line recipe (must be gluten free).
- Like ‘Natural Kitchen Adventures‘ on Facebook and leave a comment below stating you have done so.
- Tweet this – ‘Check out @cerikitchen giveaway http://wp.me/p1x8GT-Pl for the chance to win a bag of Italian Chestnut Flour’ and leave a comment below stating that you have done so.
Giveaway open to UK residents only and ends Midday GMT 8th July. Good Luck.